Sunday, August 28, 2011

Malecón Documentary Selected for Oaxaca Film Fest

I recently learned Portraits on the Malecón was selected for the Oaxaca International Independent Film and Video Festival in Oaxaca City, Mexico. It will screen on November 14 and November 18, 2011. It's a prestigious festival within Latin America. There are wonderful films in the line up. My task of the moment is to prepare the Spanish sub-titles for the English voice over. While I speak fluent Spanish, my Mexican friends advised me that the natural sound of my "mother" tongue, English, still sounds more precise than a translation of my own words to a language I speak well. I learned Spanish from grandmother. She lived with me throughout my childhood. Spanish is my "grandmother" tongue. But, living and growing up effects the way we speak and think. American English shapes the way I think and speak. And so, the transcultural journey for the film begins. I am along for the ride.

To comment, please visit: http://portraitsonthemalecon.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment